Looking for ways to spruce up your schedule? Feeling a bit “blah” as you look out on the horizon of your life? In this week’s episode, Leslie shares refreshing and simple ways to cure boredom and keep you about the Father’s business as you seek to love Him with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength. Discover how to be Christ’s hands and feet to the lost and dying by beginning with one small step of obedience at a time.
Today’s young women often want to do something meaningful with their lives; they crave purpose, but don’t know how to find it. Our culture isn’t helping the boredom trend — technology and social media often keep us from doing that which God has placed before us in which to invest our hands and heart. And sadly, the church often proposes the wrong solutions to a lack of purpose encouraging us to find our unique strengths, take time for ourselves, locate a good community to get involved with, etc.
The reason for boredom boils down to a lack of clear purpose. When we don’t know why we are here and what God has prepared in advance for us to do in His name, we can wander around aimlessly squandering the time we have been entrusted on shallow, temporal matters. True purpose is found by being busy about the Father’s business. Contrary to popular belief, a focus on self will never uncover our true purpose, rather, the only way to overcome boredom fully is to embrace a poured-out life.
As you go where Jesus goes, do what Jesus does, and become His hands and feet to the lost and dying world, your life will indeed become one grand adventure. Remember, God hasn’t designed us to be bored or lacking purpose. And He will prove faithful to bring opportunities your way as you seek to build your life around His priorities.
How to Prepare for a Purposeful Life
- Identify and remove distractions that are thwarting you from becoming outward-focused.
- Walk fully in the fact that you’re near too young (or too old!) to lead a life of purpose. God has opportunities for you in your current season of life.
- Open your eyes to the needs around you.
- Begin with simple ways to help those in need.
- Prayerfully commit needs before God and ask for His wisdom to guide you with next steps.
Ways to Reach Vulnerable Children
- Organize a shoe drive
- Create care packages for orphanages
- Sponsor a child
- Raise money for orphanages
- Visit orphanages
- Go on an outreach trip
- Throw a baby shower for an adopting family
- Organize meals for a family that has just adopted
- Serve a local pregnancy crisis center
- Attend training to be a counselor for those who are facing unwanted pregnancies
- Reach out to foster care children
- Serve a local foster care family by helping with everyday needs.
Ways to Help the Poor
- Listen to the message “Lord, Give Me Your Heart” by Jackie Pullenger
- Read inspiring stories of those who answered God’s call to go and serve the poor
- Visit a local rescue mission or homeless shelter
- Get involved with inner city churches in your area
- Visit: salvationarmyusa.org
Ways to Help the Persecuted
Research Voice of the Martyrs
Pray for the persecuted
Write letters of encouragement
Contact government officials to ask for prisoners’ release
Support the imprisoned by supporting their families.
It is key to surrender each burden and idea before the Lord to refrain from trying to accomplish anything in your own strength. Take time to wait on God and pray for clarity as to how to step out into serving those God has placed before you.
- James 1:27
- Ephesians 2:10
Leslie will be going deeper on how to embrace a poured-out life in her Mentoring Young Women online summit available through April 2nd. Visit us to learn more and join!