With chaos and confusion plunging our world into turmoil, there is a desperate need for Christians to gain the lost art of godly discernment so that we know how to sift through the popular messages being presented to us today. In this episode, Leslie arms you with biblical principles that will help you stand strong for truth in such a time as this.
Nevermore has there been a need for true discernment than in these dark times. Our world has fallen into a stupor of confusion that has caused even many Christians to succumb to trendy, pop-culture messages. Unfortunately, it is a common pattern for showy displays of pop-culture Christianity to be touted as the “real thing.” However, often times the smoke and lights shows that are taking place under the banner of Christianity often dazzle us with bells and whistles, but distract and deceive us from the pure, undiluted Truth of God’s Word.
We cannot assume that every Christian resource that hits the mainstream market has been tested by a board of godly elders or pastors. It is the responsibility of each believer to test and screen the books, messages, and blogs that we are listening to rather than leave it up to the culture. Sadly, oftentimes Christian ministry has morphed into Christian industry and popular “Christian” voices are more intent on money-making rather than disciple-making.
Common Discernment Pitfalls
- Blending faith with political correctness
- Accepting anything new coming into he Christian publishing/music industry
- Listening to social media credibility and Internet-made spiritual voices, rather than time-tested Christian leaders
A simple definition for discernment: distinguishing the difference between truth and error.
What a relief that God has not left us to fend for ourselves amid the confusion and deception/ He desires to equip us to come to the knowledge of His truth and know how to wield that against the messages that we are encountering on a daily basis.
Four Ways to Develop Discernment
- Beware of Itching Ears — instead of desiring to receive messages that make us feel good and validated, we should desire to be moved and shaped by Truth and convicted and refined by God’s Spirit.
Action step — Test what messages and influences are coming into your life by asking if they are leading you closer to Christ or farther away from Him.
- Make God’s Word Your Lifeline — instead of treating the Bible as a buddy, we should submit ourselves to it as the actual Word of God.
Action Step — Purpose to spend time daily in the Word — read, study, memorize, and meditate upon God’s living Word!
- Embrace the Old Paths — instead of leaning heavily on artistry and technology-laden displays that diminish the Word of God, return to the classic, tried and true voices of the Christian greats who have withstood the test of time.
Action Step — Begin to ask a new question. Instead of asking, “What am I getting out of this?” we should ask: “What is God getting out of this?”
- Understand the Nature of God — instead of studying the world’s ways get to know the heart of God through His word and through spending time in His presence.
Action Step — Show patience and grace toward other believers who lack discernment and exchange a critical spirit for prayer.
2 Timothy 3:6
1 Timothy 2:4
Becoming a discerning Christian can feel overwhelming, but here’s what we have to remember — we cannot grow in godly discernment in our own effort and willpower. We can ask God for His supernatural, enabling grace to provide us with a clear understanding of truth. Christianity, in a nutshell, is all about Jesus. You don’t need to have every theological argument perfectly polished — simply reject the messages that lead you away from Christ and embrace those that draw you closer to Him.
- If you want to grow in godly discernment, join our Late Summer Weeklong Program at Ellerslie! You’ll gain the tools you need to stand strong amid today’s culture. For upcoming program dates and information, visit us here.