This week Leslie reflects on her 25th wedding anniversary and shares her top date night idea that has strengthened the spiritual foundation of her marriage. If you’re looking for fresh ways to grow spiritually together with your spouse, this episode will inspire you to set Christ at the center of your marriage now or prepare for a relationship that goes the distance.
In 25 years of marriage, there have been opportunities to experience fun dates, vacation getaways, and retreats … and yet, the top activity that has strengthened our marriage has been setting prayer as a top priority of our marriage. In this episode, I would love to share our top ways that we have kept Christ at the center of our marriage these past 25 years.
1. Pray Together
Praying passionately, importunately, and consistently leads to a spiritual oneness that strengthens the core of your marriage. Even without tropical vacations or marriage seminars, your marriage will thrive if you seek and set prayer as an integral part of your marriage relationship.
Don’t forget: identify hindrances that may be standing in the way of having a powerful prayer life. (I.e. unconfessed sin, unforgiveness, bitterness towards one another.) Walk through a time of repentance for anything that God brings to mind.
Be vigilant to detect the enemy’s attacks in trying to thwart a prayer session together. Call on the grace of God to put aside your frustrations, ignore temptation to bicker, and get back to what God has called you to do.
2. Grow Together — read the same Scriptures, books, or devotional material together.
3. Go Together — attend the same spiritual activities together.
4. Study inspirational couples of yesteryear — (I.e. Hudson & Maria Taylor, William & Catherine Booth, Oswald & Biddy Chambers, Richard & Sabina Wurbmrand, and Jim & Elisabeth Elliot.)
A couple who prays together and purposefully grows spiritually is a team that will have a thriving marriage. The closer you draw to Jesus Christ, the closer you will draw to each other.
- There is one week left to purchase our new online course, Christ-Centered Sexuality. This online course includes 20+ hours of
truth that defines God’s pattern for biblical sexuality and romantic relationships. Learn more here. amazing
- Learn more and purchase Eric and Leslie’s book, Wrestling Prayer, here.
- Learn more about Eric and Leslie’s Discipleship Training Program here.